Our Blog

Mid-term grades and the Questions they bring

Below you will find a few of the questions that are being asked now that students have received their mid-term grades. Academic standing is defined as it is written in the Course Catalogue and efforts in working with students are facilitated by Office of Academic Advising and Assistance while Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) and financial aid maintenance (per the Gonzaga Guarantee) are determined by the Financial Aid Office.  While many of these policies are complicated, we want to provide you with an overview of how this applies to your student.  Midterm grades can be used by the student to gauge their academic performance and make necessary adjustments to improve or maintain their grades. At the midterm point, the grades earned will not place a student on SAP or Academic Probation (please refer to information in red below).

  • What is Academic Standing and what is the difference between that and Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)?

A student’s Academic Standing is tied to the academic requirements the University places on students and good standing is required of all graduating students.  Satisfactory Academic Progress is a policy the government requires students be evaluated under to receive financial aid.

To be in Good Academic Standing with the University, students must maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.0 as determined at the end of every semester, beginning with the completion of the student’s second regular (non-summer) semester at Gonzaga University.

Students are placed on Academic Probation whenever the term and/or cumulative GPA earned falls below a 2.0. More information about Academic Probation is available online.

  • Midterm grades are not documented on the student’s official transcript.  The term and cumulative grades earned at the end of semester are the grades considered for Academic Standing and Academic Probation.

  • I’m having trouble with a class; what resources are available?

Students having trouble with their course material should seek assistance from their professor first.  They are usually available before and after class, and also have posted office hours.  We encourage students to be specific when communicating their struggles as the professor will be better able to provide assistance if they know exactly what part of the material a student needs help with.  Also, feel free to refer students to meet with a professional advisor in the Office of Academic Advising and Assistance located in College Hall, Room 104 or contact via-telephone at 509-313-4072 or email at advise@gonzaga.edu.

If a student needs help with writing or mathematics there are labs that can assist a student with an assignment.  Tutors are also available, some offer free group and/or individual sessions.  More information and recommendations are available online.

  • What GPA do I need to keep my financial aid?

To continue to qualify for scholarships and grants under the Gonzaga Guarantee a student must: maintain full time enrollment (12 credit minimum) and meet “Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)” requirements: which includes a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0.  You can view a copy of the Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy online.

  • If I drop a class and am enrolled in less than 12 credits, what happens?

If a student’s GPA or enrollment drops below the minimums they will be placed on Financial Aid – Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) Warning.  If they fail to meet SAP for two consecutive semesters or they don’t complete any of the courses they attempted, they will have their financial aid automatically suspended. (Suspension status can be appealed and successful appeals will have their aid reinstated and placed in a probationary status.)

If your student needs more specific help please have them contact us.

Questions related to their academic experience at Gonzaga, please encourage him or her to make an appointment with an advisor in the Office of Academic Advising and Assistance.  We can be reached by phone, at 509-313-4072, by e-mail at advise@gonzaga.edu.

Questions related to their aid, please encourage them to contact their Financial Aid Counselor.  We can be reached by phone, at 509-313-6582, or by e-mail at finaid@gonzaga.edu.

Comments are closed.