Jill Royston, M.A.
Manager, Student Wellness Resource Center

Just the other day I was reflecting with colleagues about our “resolutions” for the New Year! All three of us talked about health in some way; eating better, exercising, training for a fun run. We also talked about being just “better” – being the individuals we want to be, setting an example we can be proud of for our families, friends, and students. I personally was challenged by my pastor with the question, “do you live a life worth imitating”?  This was profound for me – and resonated on a whole other level with the work we do here at Gonzaga University.

We are part of the Student Wellness Resource Center (SWRC) and this year we’ve been promoting a campaign to Keep it R.E.A.L.! By providing Relevant Education for Authentic Living, the SWRC plays a vital role in helping GU students achieve their best selves. We provide programs and services to promote healthy lifestyle choices and serve as a resource center for students on a variety of wellness issues. You may have heard of some of the programs we offer, BASICS (Brief Alcohol Screening and Intervention for College Students), Green Dot (Power-Based Personal Violence Prevention Strategy), Good Neighbor Workshop, to name a few; however, many students only associate the SWRC with these programs – and for the most part, two of the previously mentioned programs are associated with conduct issues. Yet, we offer so much more for our students. We want to hear from them – what is really going on for them; what do they struggle with; what are their friends struggling with; asking how they find balance during this critical and growth filled time of their lives. When they’re real with us, we can do an even better job of bringing them the programs, education, conversations, and activities that can assist them in becoming the men and women they wish to be.

As we start this new term, this new year, I ask you to help partner with us, in setting that example for our/your student(s). Now that you know this resource is here on campus for your son or daughter, I challenge you to mention us to them; to share about this place and ask if they’ve ever thought about checking out the resources. I think one of the best lessons I learned from my parents during my college years was to seek out the resources available to me and take advantage of them. You can even say, “I hear they have a Trail Mix Bar – you’ve got to check that out!” I promise we’ll be here to welcome them, listen to them, and assist if needed. We like to consider ourselves that “home away from home” – and we’re blessed to be in a cool, little yellow house! We truly want to keep it real around here; offering what the students need, when they need it. If you have any questions about the work we do or the programs we offer, please contact us today! Student Wellness Resource Center: (509) 313-5921; swrc@gonzaga.edu.