By Chris Wheatley, Center for Community Action and Service Learning

As Orientation day approaches, there will be no shortage of people encouraging your student to “get involved” at college. While many college graduates will remember their favorite professors or the class that changed their world view, they will also remember their year as a club president, their passion for intramural sports or the service trip that changed their life. Research consistently links student involvement with retention and satisfaction. As a Gonzaga graduate myself, I know that my time as an RA, leading a Spring Break service immersion trip and working in Student Publications gave me experiences and skill sets that I carry with me today.

As a staff member in Gonzaga’s Center for Community Action and Service Learning (CCASL, pronounced “Castle”), I would like to introduce you to an impactful way your student can get involved at Gonzaga: service to the community. Our center has robust service opportunities for your student, including one-day projects, ongoing weekly mentoring of local youth, alternative winter and spring breaks and much, much more. Your student will join a community of over 2,000 student volunteers and 100 student leaders. They will have the chance to form a passion for service, develop new skills, become a leader among their peers and create memories that will last a lifetime.

Ultimately, the center exists to fulfill Gonzaga’s mission of educating “students for lives of leadership and service for the common good.” We promise your student a challenging, fun-filled experience alongside a supportive community.

To learn more about CCASL and service at Gonzaga, visit www.gonzaga.edu/CCASL.