By: Naseeb Bhangal, Class of 2014 

Welcome to the first installment of “Difference Makers,” where we feature students who are not only making a difference here at Gonzaga, but will undoubtedly continue to impact the world once they leave campus.

We think you should know about them!  Meet Naseeb…

An education should be filled with opportunities to accomplish great feats. Recently, when I arrived home for winter break stressed from school, work, and rowing, my grandmother reminded me of a valuable lesson learned through a recent feat of her own. Having lived in India all her life, my Nani never had the opportunity to read, write, or to seek an education for herself—something with which I had always been privileged. My grandmother had recently received her photo identification card in the mail. Gone was the thumbprint I always remembered below my grandmother’s name. There was a signature in its place instead. She had been practicing and had waited to surprise me—she had finally learned how to sign her name.

As a second-generation student, I have always seen education as a door into a world full of social and professional opportunities, to which my grandmother and mother never had access. Furthermore, my educational experience has served as a bridge between my orthodox Indian upbringing and my desire to be an independent and successful woman. Whenever the balance between my Indian values and my American privilege created an identity crisis, I could always channel my frustrations and focus into academics and sports. Consequently, the benefits of a higher education are not new to me and I’m inspired to help others reap the benefits as well. 

Duly, on May 14th 2014, I will be a proud Gonzaga University graduate, having completed my undergraduate career with a double major in political science and psychology. My exposure to strong female mentors through my work as a Resident Assistant, Admissions Ambassador, a Pre-Orientation Program Coordinator, and a New Student Orientation Coordinator have made me realize that higher education is the environment in which I see myself excelling as a professional as well.

When I reflect on my time at Gonzaga, I contribute my growth to the mentors, coaches, teammates, peers, and professors who believed in me and pushed me to stretch myself—mind, body, and spirit. Through my most recent experience as the New Student Orientation Coordinator, I personally witnessed the likelihood of young women being better engaged if they have strong mentors. This takes me back to my grandmother’s story. I have always sought to be the first to do things in my family despite not having a paved path before me to follow. With the help of a few strong women (Amy Swank and Tracy Ellis-Ward), I have had the courage to understand my vocation and passions.

In the long run, I would like to obtain a Master’s, and subsequently a Doctoral degree, in higher education, with my ultimate career destination in the classroom. Most importantly, I want to help young women pave their paths like the mentors who have supported me in my discernment process and throughout my life. While it may appear that I have totally changed the course of my life from when I first entered Gonzaga University, I simply believe that I was fortunate enough to discover my passion for student development in time for me to make the career decision that I consider to be best for me. Because I have grown to love academia and its potential to shape the lives of many, I know I have a place in higher education.