Kelly Alvarado, Manager, First Year Experience Programs

Erica Laucius, Sophomore, Seattle, WA

Your Zag’s story in creating a sense of belonging is unique. First Year Experience Programs (FYEP) is here to listen, support your student by connecting them to resources, and challenge them to take the lead in creating their Zag story. Every Zag has the ability to be successful at Gonzaga University because they were selected through the admissions process to belong to our community. Whether your student is looking for assistance in academic tutoring, finding a softball team or ways to serve the community, FYEP will be able to get students on the right path as long as they are ready to walk the path with us by their side. First Year Experience Programs is a great resource for all new Zags because we believe Orientation is a process, not an event, and are hear all year to support your Zag. Stop by Crosby 101, follow us on social media @ZagFirstYear or contact us at firstyearexperience@gonzaga.edu, (509) 313-5501.

The department services consist of the following:

• Pre-Orientation Programs
  • New Student Orientation
  • How to Zag Extended Orientation
  • Spark! – Sense of Belonging Workshop
  • GUide Core – Peer Student Leaders

Sophomore, Erica Laucius transferred to Gonzaga University from Seattle, Washington. She shares how First Year Experience Programs help her transition and develop a sense of belonging.

Transitioning into college is tough whether you are a first-year freshman or a transfer student. I made the decision not to struggle with my transition. This took a great deal of effort on my part. My advice to students who are struggling with transitioning is to find a support system and use the resources that are available because the support available for students at Gonzaga is unbelievable. For me, getting connected with First Year Experience Programs was instrumental in easing my transition. In addition, I would not have had a successful transition to Gonzaga without the support of my parents. They were encouraging throughout the process and instilled their belief in me through countless text messages and long phone calls, even from three-hundred miles away that I had the ability to belong.

One of my goals for my Gonzaga experience was to feel involved and important. Within my first week on campus, I landed an internship which gave me a sense of purpose, importance, and involvement. Feeling involved and important takes a great deal of effort. I encourage students struggling in their transition to join a club, attend a sporting event, get an internship, or join a sports team. This is not always an easy thing to do, but it is a great way to make connections and establish belonging in the Gonzaga community. Gonzaga is such a welcoming place, and Spokane is really an awesome city to get to call my “home away from home”.