By: Christine Ryman
“Why should an incoming, first-year student even THINK about a first-time visit to
Gonzaga Career and Professional Development?”
“Isn’t this Center just for Juniors or Seniors getting ready to graduate and look for jobs?”
- CPD has created a Four-Year Program for professional growth and development with approachable goals and practical tasks designed for each year of college. Beginning the process as a first-year student gives a jumpstart toward the final goal, with confidence!
- Students can discover valuable information about their natural interests and abilities through Assessments designed to measure personality and interest. (Myers-Briggs Type Indicator, The Strong’s Interest Inventory). With the help of trained CPD staff, students explore career fields that complement or apply these capacities.
- Every new semester there are new things to learn! CPD offers a wide range of helpful workshops, seminars and training sessions designed just for Gonzaga students.
A few examples,
- Resumania! This noon drop-in hour, held the first Thursday of every month, offers students a chance to meet one-on-one with trained career staff and learn how to write a resume.
- Career Fair Prep Training! “How do I begin to talk to an employer? What should I ask? How do I know which organizations are the right fit? What should I wear?” Attend this training and feel equipped for a successful experience at Career and Internship Fairs.
- “What does it mean to give an Elevator Pitch and Network?” This workshop equips students with strong communication skills in professional-social settings, one of the most important components for success in career planning.
- Internship 101! This weekly session introduces the most important steps in securing a meaningful internship experience. This “must-attend” training helps students consider learning goals, conduct research and build professional practices.
- Speed-Mock Interviews! Usually held in the fall, this round-robin event links students with guest employers who pose interview questions and offer feedback! Each student experiences an interactive exchange with regional professionals.
- Some students think that CPD is only for help with a But did you know this department also…
- Assists students as they discover, “What can I do with this major?”
- Guides students in finding and preparing for a meaningful internship.
- Connects students to conversations with Alumni and GAMP Mentors.
- Directs students to online and other resources for professional development, internships or work abroad.
- Supports students as they explore options and make decisions for graduate school.
- Hosts students in annual TREKS to key cities where they visit high profile organizations and meet recruiters and alumni.
- Finally, first-year students who visit CPD discover an opportunity for leadership by later applying to the PRO-REP Peer-Leader Team. This well-informed and trained group assists all students with developing professional documents, and building networking and interviewing skills. While serving, PRO-REPS cultivate practices that, in turn, lead to meaningful careers.
*Career and Professional Development (CPD) is located in CROSBY, right in the center of campus. Come on by, and let’s start a conversation!