A Semester to Remember

Heather Remington

I can hardly believe this semester and our time here in Italy is coming to an end. I remember the first day we arrived, exhausted and half of us without luggage (mine got back in Paris. Mamma mia!). Even though we felt the jetlag kicking in and were in a completely new environment, I (and I’m sure many others) was thrilled to be dragging my suitcase behind me down the streets of Florence. Now it’s been almost four months and I will be packing up my suitcase and once again dragging it behind me down the streets of Florence, but with all new friends, experiences, and incredible life lessons.

For many of us, these have been some of the best months of our lives thus far. I’ve had the most incredible time testing out my Italian skills, learning about new cultures and history, and exploring some of the most beautiful countries in the world. It is hard to believe that one weekend you could be in Prague and four days later you’ve finished the school week and you’re heading to Amsterdam. Getting to know cities, people, and cultures across Europe has taught me to not only try new things, but also to better appreciate everything around me. So many of my experiences have taught me to be patient, kind, and willing to learn. I can remember the first time I went to a café and had no clue how to speak any Italian and as the owner couldn’t speak any English either, we both just stared at each other trying to communicate with hand gestures. I left the café feeling frustrated, with culture shock kicking in for the first time. I think back to that now and laugh, as now I have four months of experiences and ordering a pastry at a café is one of the easiest things to do. I must also mention how blessed we are to be studying in Florence, one of the most beautiful cities I have ever seen. The art, museums, cafes, food, buildings, views, and especially the gelato make this city the most perfect place to spend four months.

Although traveling by far is one of the best parts of studying abroad, we have also come to appreciate what an incredible school we go to. Ask any Gonzaga student why they love Gonzaga and I can almost guarantee that they will say because of the community. Although we are over 5,000 miles away from our campus back in Spokane, the sense of community is just as strong. We are very fortunate to have such wonderful faculty and staff here in Florence, making everything about this experience all the better. You can guarantee that every single time you walk by Denise (our very amazing security guard), she will give you the biggest smile and enthusiastic “Ciao!” that will immediately brighten up your day. Each person working at Gonzaga-In-Florence goes out of his or her way to show the students that they care about us, and for anything we need, they are here. After talking to many students from other programs, I know this quality about Gonzaga-In-Florence is one of a kind.

On top of getting to know the best faculty and staff possible, we have also all gotten to know each other and have grown closer than I could have imagined. I honestly believe that nothing will bring a group of people closer together than throwing them all into a foreign city, in a foreign country, halfway around the world where no one speaks the same language as you. I came to Florence only knowing a few people and am now leaving with an amazing group of friends that mean the world to me. Last night we had our final dinner, which was the last time we would all be in a room together before we leave. Looking around at everyone smiling and laughing made me understand that the Gonzaga-In-Florence program is less of a group of students, faculty, and staff, and more of a huge family you will value for the rest of your life.

As our time comes to an end, I think one of the most important things to do is thank all of you, the parents, for allowing us the opportunity to study abroad. At least for me and I imagine pretty much everyone else in the program, this experience wouldn’t be possible without you. We will never be able to fully explain to you the countless ways studying abroad has changed our lives, but know that we have learned so much and by the end of these four months, we have had an experience we will never forget.