Our Blog

DCIM100GOPROGOPR0527.

Ciao! My name is Hannah Eoff and I’m a junior at Gonzaga, studying Public Relations and Promotions. Traveling abroad has been an amazing opportunity for me for many reasons, including the fact that this is my first time traveling out of the country. Despite a twelve-hour plane ride, I have loved every second of this journey, so far.

Our opening tour started in Rome, one of the coolest cities I have had the privilege of visiting. We toured Galleria Borghese, completed a walking tour that ended at the Colosseum and wished on coins, which we tossed into the famous Trevi Fountain. However, my favorite part of Rome was being able to tour the Vatican and St. Peter’s. Seeing the Sistine Chapel in person is breathtaking. I have learned about it in school since I was a child and to see the entire painting up close is unreal. No pictures will ever do it justice, and I will always remember the moment as everyone silently entered and gazed, astounded and content, at the incredible paintings on the ceiling and walls. It truly felt like walking backwards through history.

The rest of opening tour was equally exciting and gorgeous. We visited the ancient city of Pompeii and took boating tours to the island of Capri, Positano and Amalfi. The best part about these tours was that the captain of the boat let us take a swimming stop in the Mediterranean Sea. Our weeklong opening tour ended with a pizza festival in Naples. Since this is the city where pizza originated, you can only imagine how delicious it was!

In addition to the amazing sights we saw and the wonderful activities we were included in, my favorite part about opening tour was all the great people I met. We were assigned random roommates at each hotel we stayed in and it really helped me branch out and get out of my comfort zone quickly. In fact, people assumed that one of my roommates had been my best friend for years, though I only met her in Rome! I love how welcoming and friendly this community is and I have been able to get to know so many adventurous, caring and friendly students from several different schools.

The Gonzaga-in-Florence campus is located in a great area. While walking to school each morning I have a perfect view of the Duomo. Though I am only taking four classes while studying abroad, I am lucky I get to touch on the subjects of Catholicism, Philosophy of Art, Basic Marketing and Italian in such an enriched city. The professors here teach us, not only the learning material, but also pointers on how to navigate Florence and the best dining spots in the city. They are making it easier to understand Italian society.

I am also participating in a homestay program during my time in Florence. Since this is my first time out of the country, I really wanted to jump right in and try to fully immerse myself in the culture. I am living with a wonderful woman named Patrizia and her sweet dog, Lula, as well as two other Gonzaga students. Every night at dinner, Patrizia teaches us Italian and we talk for hours over wine and her delicious cooking. It is my favorite part of the day and she instantly made her apartment feel like home. We even hang our laundry from clotheslines on her third story balcony! It feels like I am living a dream.

I have only been in Italy for a few weeks, but already this is the best experience of my life, so far. It is my goal to try new foods, talk to new people and to learn as much Italian as I possibly can. The experiences I’ve had, have already helped shape me into a more understanding and culturally-appreciative individual. I cannot wait for what I’ll learn in the following months here! I am excited and ready for the adventures ahead but, most of all, blessed for the opportunity.