Mom, Dad and Nate – my favorite Zags,

Hello, Walchenbach family and all Gonzaga Families. It’s me, Cole. I did not tell any of you that I would be writing this letter, with the hope that this comes to you all as a surprise. Mom, I lied. This is not a philosophy paper that I am writing. This is a letter of gratitude and thankfulness for my family, and for the support that you all have poured on me for as long as I can remember. I write this letter to you, all because I want to reflect on the sole reason that I am currently able to call myself a sophomore at Gonzaga University: your everlasting love and encouragement. Mom, I remember visiting Gonzaga with you during my junior year in high school, and instantly feeling my heart stir in ways that it never had before. From that point on, I was given nothing but confirmation, validation, and affirmation from you all that Gonzaga University was where I belonged. And, surely enough, we were right. Before we knew it, Orientation Weekend came around the corner, and with little time to take a step back and reflect on what was happening, I was moved into Roncalli and we were saying our goodbyes. Saying goodbye to you three was one of the toughest things I have ever had to do in my life. Being a home body, it was difficult to watch what I knew as my place of safety and comfort drive away, leaving me in unfamiliar territory with unfamiliar people. Yet, without your encouragement and endless support, I would have never realized that Gonzaga University is in fact my second home. Soon after I started my new journey away from you all, I began experiencing a glimpse of what has turned out to be a life-changing and unforgettable first year and a month at Gonzaga. By the end of that first week of class, I saw more doors open for physical, emotional, mental, and spiritual growth than I could ever imagine, and I once again knew that I was where I needed to be – my new home. Yet, across the state in Everett, Washington, I soon found out that my family was not doing as well as I had been. Dad, when I got your message that you lost your job the week after dropping me off, I did not know what to say or do. I remember suddenly panicking, becoming restless, and questioning whether I should even be at Gonzaga anymore. However, as you always have when I am distressed, you talked to me on the phone, and I still remember to this day hearing you say, “You are home, son. Gonzaga is where you are meant to be.” Though your lives were in the unknown, just as much as mine was coming here to Gonzaga, you never failed to give me endless affirmation and support. For that, and for every day since then, I want to sincerely and wholeheartedly thank you for all that you have done to make my dream of being a student at Gonzaga come true and remain true. Mom, Dad and Nate, you three are my rock and the biggest and strongest support system I could ever ask for. I would never be where I am or who I am without all three of you and your encouragement that gets me through the best days and the worst days. I am forever proud to be a Zag, but I could never be a proud Zag without being a proud Walchenbach first. Thank you and I love you.

Cole Walchenbach, Sophomore, Everett, WA