Our Blog

Senior Austin Johnson (’18) reflects on how he’s grown over the course of his Gonzaga experience after attending, and now leading, the Center for Community Engagement’s “Mission: Possible” spring break immersion trip.

Mission: Possible is an annual week-long service immersion trip for 100 students who wish to spend their spring break participating in service, engaging with different communities, and living out the Gonzaga mission of being men and women for others. My freshman year, I applied to go on Mission: Possible for what I thought were the right reasons, but as time went on and I reflected on my experiences, I would soon discover that what I got out of the trip was much different than what I had anticipated. I originally applied for Mission Possible because I had never had the opportunity to travel and this seemed like a great chance to, not only travel, but do a little volunteering along the way. The best of both worlds! In all reality, I did achieve both. I got to visit NYC and do some service. Yet, neither of those outcomes were what truly mattered in my eyes. At Gonzaga, we frequently speak of being persons for and with others, yet we often lack the opportunities to truly live that out. Mission: Possible is one of the truest and most authentic experiences in which students get to be (both literally and figuratively) with and for others. As I think back to my time on Mission: Possible, I realize that what mattered were the people that I met. There is something so special about learning how to sit with others in the discomfort of immersing oneself in a new community on Mission: Possible. Discomfort is a catalyst for growth and it forces us to adapt, change, and be vulnerable. Mission: Possible was one of the first real experiences that made me think about who I was and what impact I wanted to make. The incredibly passionate individuals I met taught me what it really means to stand with others. Simply being in their company allowed me to be the best version of myself and make the Mission: Possible experience all that it was.

As my senior year approached, I knew that I wanted to feel that discomfort and true authenticity again. I had to be surrounded by inspiring and caring individuals who would rather spend their spring break in service of others just one more time before I left. I also wanted to ensure that others got the same experience of growth and self-discovery that I got on my freshman year trip. Therefore, my senior year, I applied to be a Mission: Possible leader. This spring break, I will be traveling with a group of students to St. Louis, Missouri to be with and in the service of community leaders who support those experiencing homelessness. Mission: Possible is an incredible opportunity offered to Gonzaga students and one that will stand out whenever I look back on my time here. While the immersion trip is an incredible opportunity to travel and see the world (a value in and of itself), the experience of being with others and learning about who you are is truly the most rewarding part of Mission: Possible.

If your student is interested in participating in Mission: Possible, or any community engagement opportunity through our office, please let them know to come down to our office or visit our website at Center for Community Engagement