Our Blog

Picture of Andy Touhey

Andy Touhey

In 2015 I became a ZAG and my life, though I didn’t know it at the time, would be forever changed. I was raised in a Lutheran household. Coming to a Jesuit private school after having attended public school my whole life did stir up some butterflies in my stomach. Orientation was exciting, meeting new people from all over and enjoying being in the moment. It was all leading up to Welcome Mass. Obviously not being very well versed in the Catholic mass, it was a different experience. My family that consisted of my mom and my grandparents, all Lutheran, attended as well. Although I went into the mass with some nerves, by the time mass had ended I knew Gonzaga University was a home away from home. It was an emotional point in my life that I will never forget. Hearing the priest give an inspiring homily made me feel welcomed as a non-Catholic student. I have not questioned my belonging at Gonzaga. From the people I have met and my involvement with the Mission and Ministry office on campus, my faith has flourished at GU. I was never involved with ministry before coming to Gonzaga. I now lead small groups on retreats and am going to be a Resident Minister this upcoming year helping students in their faith journeys. Attending Welcome Mass ignited something inside me to grow and accept that I was in the right place. As I go into my senior year at GU, I remember that time coming in as a fresh-faced freshman nervous if I made the right choice. The experience at Welcome Mass, walking away seeing my family and other student’s families tearing up will stay with me for the rest of my life. Reminding me how important Gonzaga University has been to me and shaping me to be a ZAG.